26.3.07

Selection Issues

As I said yesterday, I thought that there was some promise about England's display against Kenya, but there are still aspects of the side which concern me.

In Michael Vaughan and Ian Bell they have two top-order batsmen with a combined total of 119 ODIs and not a single century. Okay, we're probably in a situation (with Strauss out of one-day favour and Flintoff sacked) where Vaughan has to play for his captaincy alone, and you won't find a bigger admirer of Ian Bell than me, but this is one reason (unless, of course, they both start scoring hundreds PDQ) why, although England could be contenders, they surely won't be winners of the competition.

I'm also unsure about the balance of the bowling and would prefer to see Jon Lewis in the side somewhere, although I can't see much changing this side of the Ireland game.

But at least they're through.

No comments:

Subscribe in a reader