26.4.09

Making a Ton

I've just enjoyably wasted half an hour looking at 'Tom Redfern's' blog Get a Hundred, which Patrick Kidd mentioned on Line and Length a week or two ago.

'Tom' (the name is apparently a very well-chosen alias*) has been blogging and 'vlogging' (posting videos) about his efforts to score a century for a couple of seasons now.

It's something I can identify with although I've never even scored a fifty and have largely given up hope of doing so now. From the videos 'Tom' looks pretty handy and if he was playing at my level the hundred would be his for the taking.

* Tom Redfern was the non-striker (and last man out) when AEJ Collins completed his innings of 628 not out in a house match at Clifton College in Bristol in 1899, the highest recorded innings in an organised cricket match anywhere in the history of the sport.

4 comments:

Rob said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorecard_of_A._E._J._Collins

Now that is what I call a thumping: an innings and 688 runs.

Brian Carpenter said...

It's great isn't it? I love the fact that it was a timeless match - I wouldn't mind playing one of those but it's debatable whether we'd take it into the second day.

Rob said...

Can you imagine how demoralised the other side must have been, especially as he took 7-33 and 4-30 when he bowled.

No where near as one sided, but it reminded me of this match: http://content.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/64123.html

SA declared at the end of day one...

Brian Carpenter said...

I remember that one well, Rob. With Zim 54 and SA 340-3 at the end of the first day it was pretty clear which way it was going...

Subscribe in a reader